Going to an open home or viewing:
Have a good look around. Open cupboards and turn on taps to check if the property meets your needs.
- Does the property tick the boxes for what you’re looking for, for example, sun exposure, bedrooms, bathrooms, views and outdoor living?
- How much storage is there? Can more be easily added?
- Is there enough water pressure? Turn on the shower and taps and flush the toilet.
- What kind of exterior cladding does the house have? Is it well maintained? Check for cracks in plaster cladding.
- Check that everything works - for example, open windows and turn on taps and light switches.
- Note any smells that could indicate dampness or a previous flood.
- Will your furniture fit?
- Is there a garage on the property? How big is it? Can you use it for a car or storage?
- Check the physical condition of the house inside and out. Do the floorboards move or does the floor slope? It’s useful to take a marble and place it on the floor. If the marble rolls, it could indicate issues with the foundations.
- If the property has retaining walls, check for sagging or cracks. Repairing retaining walls can be expensive.
- If you want to take photos at an open home you will need to check with the agent first.